August 27, 2010

Just Because He Said So




"No more words, honey, we're going to be quiet for the rest of the ride home."
My four year-old daughter and my husband were out late at a church event. She's an extrovert so being around all those people had her excitedly talking non-stop on the way home. The more she talked, the more animated she became. Finally my husband issued the no-more-words decree.

"But why?" she asked.

"Because it's late and you are tired, and you need to let your body wind down to rest."

"I'm not tired at all," she insisted.

"You don't realize it but you are very tired; it's way past your bedtime and you need to settle down."

After a moment of silence she said very matter-of-factly, "You can't know how I'm feeling."

My husband, who has a Ph.D. in communication, came through the front door saying, "Our preschooler just out reasoned me!"

She wants to understand our plans, motives, and reasons for everything. If she doesn't understand the logic of something she has a hard time accepting it. She loves us and truly wants to please us, but she wants to know why before she obeys.

She's usually obedient, once she's heard our reasons. Nonetheless, in response to her questioning I'm often tempted to use that infamous parental phrase: "Because I said so!"

I wonder if God ever wants to use that phrase with me?

I sometimes challenge His rules. Do not murder - check. Do not take the Lord's name in vain - got it. Honor your father and mother - um, OK. Do not gossip - hum, not even in the form of a prayer request? Do not lie - you mean, not ever? What if it is a little white lie that prevents hurt feelings? Do not envy - is that even possible?

Other times I question His ways. Can't You just feed the poor by making crops grow? Why do unbelieving drug addicts conceive babies, but my own girlfriend who follows You cannot? Why didn't You give me more organizational skills if You were going to have me marry this man and do this job? Are You sure You weren't distracted when You made me? Or when you gave me this questioning child?

God is infinitely more patient a parent than I am, and He is abounding in grace and love. He can easily handle all my questions without exasperation. But I wonder if He wishes I would just simply trust and obey - just because He is God."

Excerpt by--Rachel Olsen, http://proverbs31devotions.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment