November 30, 2010

The Christmas Cards





Today is the first of December, the last month of 2010 and the official beginning of the Christmas Holiday season. Most importantly, it's the special time we celebrate Christ's birth. Unfortunately, it seems each year we get further and further away from the true meaning.

Decorations go up in the stores by Halloween and the week of Thanksgiving,the holiday to celebrate being thankful becomes over-shadowed by retailer's advertisements wanting you to rush in and spend money at their black-Friday sales.

As Christmas has become more commercialized, it's become a stressful time of the year. When it begins, I know I'm not alone in feeling tired just from thinking about everything I need to do.

My youngest daughter helped refresh my perspective.

"Mom," she said a few days ago, "I've decided what I'm going to get everyone for Christmas this year."

I raised my eyebrows. "Oh? What?"

"A card. Card’s are better than presents anyway, don’t you think?"
Before I could respond she added, "I do.”

She proceeded to read off more than twenty names of friends and family members she had written down on her list. If she bought that many cards, I thought, it would take most, if not all of her allowance.

Was this the same little girl who normally had her Christmas list made weeks in advance and often added to it on Christmas Eve?

"I agree," I told her, nodding. "I like card's much better than presents." Nothing could make me happier on my birthday or Mother’s Day than receiving a phone call or a thoughtful card from someone dear to me, especially one of my grown-up children.

After two trips to the dollar store, one with my husband, and one with me, my daughter had carefully hand-picked just the right card for everyone on her list. That night she wouldn't go to bed until she finished writing and addressing each one. The next day she showed me the stack.

"When can we deliver them? Today?" I smiled at her eagerness. "Let's at least wait until it's December."

This year I'm going to keep whatever I do, heartfelt and simple. No more stress and worry over trying to to make it a picture-perfect Christmas.So what if all of the decorations don't get put up, the tree has a few broken lights, or a gift comes from the thrift store.

Baby Jesus,the Savior of us all, was born in a humble stable, wrapped in swaddling clothes and slept in a bed of hay.

1 comment:

  1. I'm cruising to meet some new people--and found you through KarenG's blog. And happily I see that you're LDS. So am I. I grew up in Salt Lake, but I'm now caregiver to a disabled daughter in Harrisonburg, VA.

    Heartfelt and simple is exactly what Christmas should be! And Jen and I have a cute little green tree from Dollar General, and some green ornaments from a friend who got them at Dollar General (green is my daughter's favorite color!!).

    We can help our children appreciate the "little" things, as you're doing!!
    Ann Best, A Long Journey Home

    ReplyDelete