December 28, 2010

Forget to Remember


This comes from Marybeth Whalen

I remember a time I ran impulsively ahead of the Lord because I didn't want to wait on His answer. We were in need of a computer and had a little money we could spend. Since we were in the stages of still paying off debt, it was money that could have been spent elsewhere. As I prayed about this decision, I felt God telling me to wait on this purchase. "God," I responded, "we can't wait any longer. We need a computer." I couldn't understand why He would tell me to wait, so I moved ahead with our plans to buy a computer.

I had wrestled the control back once again.

About a month after we got this new computer, my mom called me to ask if we still needed a computer. "Well, no," I told her, "we bought one already. Why?" She went on to explain that her friends were getting rid of a nearly new computer because they had decided to buy a laptop. Did we want it? In that moment I felt God remind me, "I told you to wait."

Even though this was difficult, it was a very powerful lesson that I have not forgotten. We ended up with two computers— but were minus a large chunk of money (that could have gone to paying off debt) invested in an unnecessary computer. God used this lesson to teach me that I have to wait on His purpose to be accomplished. When I do, my financial journey becomes intertwined with my spiritual one. This is part of growing in faith as we simultaneously grow in our relationship with Him. I can't forget to remember what He's done in the past, or I won't be able to cling to His promises for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment