March 1, 2014

Patchwork Reality Happily Married To A Schizophrenic by Pauline Hansen




Patchwork Reality: After nine years of playing “The Game” with her husband Curtis, Pauline Hansen makes a shocking discovery. Read the riveting, true account of her decade in the dark and her return to reality after Curtis is diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.


My thoughts:
     I found this book intriguing as well as personally relatable as a wife whose also experienced great heartache, fear, and uncertainty in marriage, although of a different type (see my first book, Torn Apart).
     Patchwork Reality rapidly drew me in, and I read the book straight in one sitting, an eye-opening and inspiring read!
     Below is a recent post from the author's blog which touched me, another example of Pauline's resiliency, love and commitment to her husband for "better or worse":

How can I possibly explain the beauty and wonder it is to have such an amazing marriage? Previously, if someone were to tell me their spouse was paranoid schizophrenic, I would have felt extreme sympathy for them, and only my wild imagination could conjure up what their life might be like, having never experienced anything of the sort myself.
Now, though, I’m on the inside of that equation, and I’ve found true joy . . . after the trial of my faith. In other words, there was a season of great difficulty, but my life now is better than I ever imagined it could be again. Better than ever, really.
My husband and I watched A Beautiful Mind together, and although I was worried it would hit a little too close to home and therefore cause me anxiety, I ended up loving it! There’s no way I could have watched it 3 years ago, though — when it felt like the bottom had dropped out of my world and I was left floundering and uncertain. I’m happy to say that time, and small town country life, has worked wonders in our healing — both for my husband and myself.
Curtis made an ironic comment after the movie. “There’s some parallels in the movie and our life,” he said.
“Ya think?” I asked with a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment