March 29, 2010

We can't live without it



Hilary Weeks, a fellow Alaskan, is one of my favorite LDS vocalists and songwriters. I came across this inspirational article written in her own words and was inspired. I hope you will be too. Enjoy!

"Did you know that…
- 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated…
- In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger…
- Even mild dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%...
- Lack of water is the number one trigger of daytime fatigue…
- 8-10 glasses of water could significantly ease back and joint pain…
- A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or printed page?

Those are pretty amazing insights about the benefits of water. And more than that, I’m glad I can finally put my finger on why I struggled with basic math in High School. If I had only stopped by the drinking fountain on the way to class…(Giggle, grin.) We all know how important water is! Every one of us at one time or another has been so thirsty that we would have trampled anything that got between us and a cold glass of water. Maybe it was after a long run on a summer day, or maybe after eating a rich piece of cheesecake. Perhaps we have felt that kind of thirst after fasting. Make no mistake, there is nothing like putting a refreshing glass of water to your lips and drinking until the thirst is entirely quenched.

Water is essential to life. We can’t live without it. Nothing can.

I recently read the autobiography of Helen Keller. Fabulous book, filled with inspiration and insights. I know you are familiar with Helen’s story, I was too, but there was one thing that hit me like a ton of bricks when I read it. The first word she recognized as a word, understanding the meaning and making the connection between what was being signed into her hand and what she was feeling pour over her hand was…water.

It wasn’t “doll,” though that was the first gift that Anne Sullivan gave Helen. It wasn’t “mom” or “dad” though Helen knew and loved them dearly. It was “water.” This is the experience as described by Helen’s own words:

“We walked down the path to the well-house, attracted by the fragrance of the honeysuckle with which it was covered. Some one was drawing water and my teacher placed my hand under the spout. As the cool stream gushed over one hand she spelled into the other the word water, first slowly, then rapidly. I stood still, my whole attention fixed upon the motions of her fingers. Suddenly I felt a thought; and somehow the mystery of language was revealed to me. I knew then that “w-a-t-e-r” mean the wonderful cool something that was flowing over my hand. That living word awakened my soul, gave it light, hope, joy, set it free!

"It would have been difficult to find a happier child than I was as I lay in my crib at the close of that eventful day and lived over the joys it had brought me, and for the first time longed for a new day to come.”

Interesting that Helen would describe that moment as the mystery of language being revealed. We know who has the power to reveal, to make known, open to our understanding…the Holy Ghost. I believe the Spirit opened her mind to the mystery of language. I believe that is how the connecting finally happened.

Then Helen uses these words to describe the word water – “living,” “light,” “hope,” “joy”, “set it free!.” The very same words we use to describe the Savior. When I think of the Savior as living water, it inspires a sense of awe and reverence. As water is to our physical bodies, so the Savior is to our souls. He quenches the thirst that comes from being separated from our Heavenly Home. He can slake the thirst that sets in when we sin. Through the living water that only He can offer, the thirst of loneliness, fear, doubt and discouragement can all be satisfied.

“With joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.” (Isaiah 12:3)
“If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.” (John 7:37)


I can understand the smallest part of what Helen felt that night as she fell asleep because through the Savior I have felt that same excitement for life. Because of Him I look forward to a new day to come. He is our source of joy, of light, of hope. May we all seek to partake of the water of life."

--Hilary Weeks http://deseretbook.com/time-out/view_post/15

No comments:

Post a Comment