November 5, 2008

Look a little closer

Life.

It can be difficult.

It can be wondrous.

Today the snow is falling, its whiteness a stark contrast to the red and gold leaves on the tree outside my window. I don't always welcome change, and the darkness of winter, its cold wetness and unpredictable weather can leave me feeling vulnerable and unsettled. Fall is my favorite season, the colors vibrant, the air crisp, the bounty of harvest. To me it always is too fleeting, especially in Alaska, the place of my childhood.

Winter can also be magical. Everything blanketed in a thick coating of sparkling crystals of ice, their brightness almost to vivid to see. Laughing children throwing snowballs bundled snuggly from head to toe, sipping hot chocolate by the fire, feeling cozy and warm surrounded by family and friends. The celebration of the birth of He who loves us all.

If we look close enough, good can be found anywhere.

A traveler nearing a great city asked a woman seated by the
wayside. "What are the people like in the city?"

"A terrible lot," the traveler responded. "Mean, untrustworthy,
detestable in all respects."

"Ah," said the woman, "you will find then the same in the city
ahead."

Scarcely was the first traveler gone when another stopped and
also inquired about the people in the city before him. Again
the old woman asked about the people in the place the traveler
had left.

"They were fine people; honest, industrious, and generous to a
fault. I was sorry to leave," declared the second traveler.

Responded the wise woman:"So you will find them in the city
ahead."
-author unknown-

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diony,

    I linked to your blog on Facebook. In addition, I added you to the Blogroll on Mormon Bloggers Speak Out and my own blog, Dream a little dream."

    I look forward to reading future posts.

    Candace

    ReplyDelete